New Orleans City Park’s Big Bass Rodeo & Fishtival now includes a boating division, Boats on the Bayou. This division allows you to fish from kayaks, canoes or other non-motorized vessels in Bayou St. John. The rules and regulations and fishing times from the traditional Big Bass Rodeo are different for Boats on the Bayou. Please read the rules and regulations fully beforehand. (Please note that the Park lagoons remain off limits to personal watercraft).
What are the categories?
There are four fishing categories to compete in:
3. Trout (white or speckled)
4. Trashbash—any fish that is not a bass, trout, or redfish
Trophies will be given out for the three heaviest weights in each category.
WIN A KAYAK!
A kayak will be given away via raffle to a Boats on the Bayou registrant. All registrant names will be placed in a basket and the drawing will be held during the Awards Ceremony on Saturday, March 25th. WINNER MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN!
What boats are allowed?
Any non-motorized boat such as a kayak, canoe, flat boat, pedal boat, pirogue, or paddle board. Please read the rules & regulations for details on watercraft allowed, wearing pfd’s, and other registration requirements.
Who may participate?
Anyone 8 years of age or older. Those between the ages of 8-13 must be accompanied on the water by an adult (21 years old).
What is the registration fee?
Pre-Registered fee is $15 (There is a $1 online processing fee)
On-Site Registration fee is $25
How do I register?
There are two different ways to register:
You can pre-register online between Monday, February 15th, and 5PM on Thursday, March 23rd. Click here to be directed to the registration page.
If you do not pre-register online, you can register at the rodeo on March 25th between 6AM and 8AM. Registration will be located on Bayou St. John near the bridge at Filmore Avenue. Registration table at Filmore will open at 6AM for on-site registration and bib pickup only. There will be a large sign to identify the station.
Waiver of Liability
All registrants must sign a waiver of liability. If under age 18, waiver must be signed by parent or legal guardian. No one will be recognized as a registrant unless a signed waiver is on file with the rodeo officials before fishing begins. Waiver form may be downloaded below.
How to Receive your Bib:
All registrants will be assigned a numbered bib which must be worn at all times during the tournament. To turn in waiver and receive bib, select one of the following options:
1. MAIL: signed waiver must be mailed before 12PM on Monday, March 20th. Bibs will be mailed to participants that pre-register online before this date.
Mail waiver to:
Natalie Weiss, Manager of Special Events
New Orleans City Park
1 Palm Drive
New Orleans, LA 70124
Attn: Boats on the Bayou
2. TURN IN AT MASSEYS: Avoid the lines—pickup bibs at Massey’s
Turn in your signed waiver to Rodeo official at Massey’s Outfitters at 509 N. Carrollton Avenue in New Orleans on Thursday, March 23rd between 4PM and 7PM. You may also pick up your bib at this location and time.
3. PICK-UP AT FILMORE REGISTRATION:
You can also pick up your bib and drop off your signed waiver of liability form at the Filmore Registration table between 6AM and 8AM. This is located on Bayou St. John at the bridge near Filmore Avenue.
What are the fishing times, where to fish, and weighing in your fish?
• Fishing begins at 7AM and ends at 10:AM. All fish must be brought to the weigh station by 10:30AM.
• Fishing is open on Bayou St. John beginning at Harrison Avenue north to Lake Pontchartrain. However, South of Harrison Avenue is closed to fishing due to road construction closures. Note: Watercraft are not allowed in the lagoons and bayous within City Park except Bayou St. John.
• Weigh Station will be located on Bayou St. John near the bridge at Filmore Avenue. Weigh Station will open at 7 a.m. All fish for Boats on the Bayou will be weighed at this location.
Parking—to preserve the magnificent oak trees, please do not park under any branches or on the tree roots. Thanks!