Posted January 22, 2015 at 8:22 AM by Amanda Frentz
There is a lot going on at City Park and sometimes it’s hard to keep track of all the changes and improvements.
We have repaired most hurricane damage, but we are also building a better park in concert with the Park’s Master Plan – City Park 2018.
We’ve put the following list together to help you keep track of Park progress.
What have you done for me lately?
Since Hurricane Katrina in August of 2005, we have:
• Built the Goldring/Woldenberg Great Lawn
• Constructed the new Big Lake area
• Renovated Tad Gormley and Pan American Stadiums
• Renovated the practice track surface
• Renovated the North Golf Course
• Renovated the Casino Building
• Installed four miles of new sidewalks and jogging paths
• Completed Carousel renovations and installed two new rides in the Amusement Park
• Replanted the Botanical Garden and renovated all of its buildings
• Installed a new high tech playground
• Repaired all Storyland exhibits and added two new ones
• Planted over 6,000 trees
• Utilized 35,000 volunteers who have made dramatic improvements in the Park
• Demolished several hurricane-damaged buildings
• Repaved Harrison, Wisner, Robert E Lee and Marconi
• Landscaped the entrance to the Park
• Opened the new dog park – City Bark!
• Finished a 250-car parking lot at Tricentennial Place
• Built a new fishing pier along Marconi
• Opened the new City Park / Pepsi Tennis Complex
• Moved out of our trailers and into our new Administration Building
• Made additional road repairs and installed over 100 new LED street lights
• Constructed the Arbor Room at Popp Fountain – a new rental venue
• Dedicated the new 50-acre Festival Grounds
• Opened the Morning Call Restaurant
• Built City Putt, a 36-hole miniature golf complex
• Built a very large covered rink at Equest Farms
• Gave the century old Perisyle a facelift
• Dedicated the Matt Savoie Soccer Complex
• Built and opened Parker’s Café
• Purchased a food truck
• Built and opened Parker’s Pizza
• Installed ‘Icon’ at the Festival Grounds
• Built a new Little Red School House in Storyland
What are your plans for 2015?
We will either start or start & finish the following projects:
• Construct a new pedestrian bridge and parking lot at Couturie Forest
• Complete Amusement Park upgrades, including a new Ladybug Roller Coaster
• Major infrastructure improvements in and around Tricentennial Place
• Begin construction of a new championship level golf course and club house.
• Begin construction on a new entry to the Botanical Garden
• Start construction on the Enrique Alfèrez Sculpture Garden
• Build a new bike/jogging/ walking path between Robert E. Lee and Harrison Avenue
• Build a parking lot adjacent to the Arbor Room at Popp Fountain
• Relocate disc golf to north of I-610
• Install additional bike racks throughout the Park
• Install the Ladybug Roller Coaster
• Install ‘The Wave’ a new sculpture at Big Lake
• Will finish a 30-year restoration of the Carousel
What will I likely see in upcoming years?
• A new skate park
• A new maintenance building
• A new entry to the New Orleans Botanical Garden
• Construction of a new Environmental Education Center
• Construction of a Splash Park: City Splash
Want to learn more about the Master Plan: City Park 2018? Click here