Capital/Master Plan UpdatesJanuary, 2012
There is a lot going on at City Park and sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the changes and improvements. Not only are we repairing hurricane damage, we are also building a better park in concert with the Park's master plan - City Park 2018.
We've put the following list together to help you keep track of park progress.
What have you done for me lately?
Since Hurricane Katrina in August of 2005, we have:
- Built the Goldring/Woldenberg Great Lawn
- Constructed the new Big Lake area
- Renovated Tad Gormley and Pan American Stadiums
- Renovated the practice track surface
- Renovated the North Golf Course
- Renovated the Casino Building
- Installed four miles of new sidewalks and jogging paths
- Completed Carousel renovations and installed two new rides in the Amusement Park
- Replanted the Botanical Garden and renovated all of its buildings
- Installed a new high-tech playground
- Repaired all Storyland exhibits and added two new ones
- Planted over 4,000 trees
- Utilized 45,000 volunteers who have made dramatic improvements in the park
- Demolished several hurricane damaged buildings
- Repaved Harrison, Wisner, Robert E. Lee and Marconi
- Landscaped the entrance to the park
- Opened the new dog park - City Bark!
- Finished a 250-car parking lot at Tricentennial Place
- Built a new fishing pier along Marconi
- Opened the new City Park / Pepsi Tennis Complex
- Moved out of our trailers and into our new Administration Building
- Made additional road repairs and install over 100 new LED street lights
- Constructed the Arbor Room at Popp Fountain- a new rental venue
What are your plans for 2012?
In 2012 we will either start or start and finish the following projects:
- Make repairs to the Peristyle
- Continue implementation of the Couturie Forest Master Plan
- Begin construction of our miniature golf complex
- Further upgrade the Amusement Park
- Finish construction of the Festival Grounds area
- Finish Tulane's Grow Dat Youth Farm @ City Park
- Begin construction of the championship golf course
What will I likely see in upcoming years?
- Construction of a Children's Splash Park
- A new skate park
- Addition to the conservatory in the Botanical Garden (rendering)
- Construction of a new Environmental Education Center
- New entrance to the Botanical Garden
- Construction of Marconi Bike Path