The Lord and Taylor Rose Garden, also called the Parterre, is the most formal area in the garden. The rose garden's clipped Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria 'nana') hedges impart a rigid formality on the roses contained within the beds. The center beds contain several cultivars of modern roses. The modern roses are not very well suited to the heat and humidity of New Orleans. They perform best in early spring (April to June) and fall (October to December). Modern roses require weekly spraying and replacement every three years in order to remain attractive. Old garden roses, such as those planted around the edge of the Parterre, perform much better in our climate. The Parterre is separated from the rest of the garden with a hedge of Japanese Yew which extends around the Shriever fountain (1932).
This area has the highest concentration of Enrique Alferez sculptures in the garden. At the main entrance to the rose garden are the Satyrs on sculptural columns (1932). Flanking the Shriever fountain is two bas relief Reclining Nudes (1932). On the gardens rear East-West axis which passes through the Parterre are two small fountains (1932) with a central art deco magnolia bud.
Serving as the entrances from the east and west of the Parterre are two arbors. The western arbor is original, built in the 1930s. The arbor to the east was destroyed by fallen trees during a storm, likely Hurricane Betsy (1968), and reconstructed in the early 1980s from original drawings and measurements taken from the west arbor. Reportedly once covered with Wisteria, the arbor on the western side is now in considerably more shade from the Live Oaks surrounding it. An oak to the north of the arbor was blown down, likely during the same storm that destroyed the other arbor, but has lived and continued to grow. The Arbors are now lined with impressive hanging staghorn ferns