New Orleans City Park’s Big Bass Rodeo and Fishtival now includes a boating division, Boats on the Bayou. This division allows you to fish from kayaks, canoes or other non-motorized vessels in Bayou St. John. The rules and regulations and fishing times from the traditional Big Bass Rodeo are different for Boats on the Bayou. Please read the rules and regulations fully beforehand. Please note that the Park lagoons remain off limits to personal watercraft.
What are the categories?
There are two fishing categories to compete in:
2. Trashbash (any fish that is not a bass)
Trophies will be given out for the three heaviest weights in each category. There will be a raffle specifically for Boats on the Bayou registrants. All registrant names that fished in the tournament will be placed in a basket and the drawing will be held during the Awards Ceremony on Saturday, March 26th. WINNER MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN!
What boats are allowed?
Any non-motorized boat such as a kayak, canoe, flat boat, pedal boat, pirogue, or paddle board. Please read the rules & regulations for details on watercraft allowed, wearing pfd’s, and other registration requirements.
Who may participate?
Anyone 8 years of age or older. Those between the ages of 8-13 must be accompanied on the water by an adult (21 years old).
What is the registration fee?
Registration fee is $30
How do I register?
On-site registration at the rodeo on March 26th between 6am and 8am. Registration will be located on Bayou St. John near the bridge at Filmore Avenue. Registration table at Filmore will open at 6 am for on-site registration and bib pickup only. There will be a large sign to identify the station.
Waiver of Liability
All registrants must sign a waiver of liability. If under age 18, waiver must be signed by parent or legal guardian. No one will be recognized as a registrant unless a signed waiver is on file with the rodeo officials before fishing begins. Waiver will be available for electronic signature for participants registering online. Waiver is included in Registration Form below. For day of registration, please print and bring completed forms to on-site registration on Bayou St. John near the Filmore Bridge on Saturday, March 26th.
How to Receive your Bib:
All registrants will be assigned a numbered bib which must be worn at all times during the tournament. To receive your bib, select one of the following options:
1. BY MAIL: Register online by noon on Monday, March 21st. Bibs will be mailed to participants that pre-register online before this date.
2. PICK-UP AT FILMORE REGISTRATION: You can also pick up your bib at the Filmore Registration table between 6am and 8am. This is located on Bayou St. John at the bridge near Filmore Avenue.
What are the fishing times, where to fish, and weighing in your fish?
• Fishing begins at 7am and ends at 10:30am. All fish must be brought to the weigh station by 10:30am.
• Fishing is open on Bayou St. John only. Note: Watercraft are not allowed in the lagoons and bayous within City Park except Bayou St. John.
• Weigh Station will be located on Bayou St. John near the bridge at Filmore Avenue. Weigh Station will open at 7am. All fish for Boats on the Bayou will be weighed at this location.
To preserve the magnificent oak trees, please do not park under any branches or on the tree roots.