Big Bass Fishing Division
All the details about the traditional Big Bass Fishing Categories
What are the categories?
Five Fishing Categories
1. JUNIOR ANGLERS-12 years and under catching single heaviest of (A): bream, perch or cichlid or (B): bass.
2. BASS ADULT-spinning, spincast or baitcast reels for bass; 13 years or older
3. FLY FISHING-fly rod/reel to catch heaviest bass or cichlid; any age
4. CICHLID & BREAM TRIM-team event (1-5 members) to catch bream, cichlids or perch; any age
5. CHAMPIONS CHALLENGE-only for past winners of BASS categories; any age
Bonus: Catch-a-Cat or Gar!
One prize each awarded to heaviest gar or catfish. Any age may participate. Must be registered in above category to qualify.
What is the registration fee?
$10/Adult (13 and older)
$5/Youth (12 and under)
Each registrant will be given a colored wristband that identifies the category entered. Please wear your wristband at all times—you must present it to the Weigh Master when you submit your fish to the Weigh Station.
How do I register?
You may register either ONLINE or ONSITE on rodeo day.
1. ONLINE registration begins Monday, February 15th and ends at noon on Friday, April 1st.
Anyone registering before noon on Monday, March 28th, will have their wristbands mailed to the address listed on the registration form.
Those registering after noon on April 1st, may pick up wristbands at the WILL CALL table on rodeo morning during registration hours. You will not have to stand in the general registration line—the WILL CALL table will be separate from general registration. NOTE: Cichlid & Bream Trim Team Event is not available for online registration. Registration is ONSITE only.
2. ONSITE registration begins at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 2nd at the Casino Building (Morning Call Cafe) on Dreyfous Avenue in City Park. Each category will have a registration table. If you have a question about your category, volunteers are on hand to answer questions. Registration ends at 8:00 a.m. Registration forms may be downloaded and printed—see PRINTABLE REGISTRATION FORM under “Downloads” below.
What else do I need to know?
• Each participant must register individually. All registrants must read and agree to the rules & regulations contained in the registration packet. See download below. Payment constitutes agreement to the rules. The name and age of the registrant must be included to process registrations.
• The rodeo is a “rain or shine” event, no refunds are given and we will not re-issue lost wristbands.
• Cichlid & Bream Trim Team Members: if you are part of a fishing team, all members must be registered. One representative for the team may register the whole team and the registration must include each member’s name and age. Please have your registration fee for all members ready along with completed form. Only one form is needed for a team.
• Fishing begins at 6:30 a.m. and ends at 11:00 a.m. Anglers must be in the Weigh Station line by 11:00 a.m. for their fish to qualify to be weighed.
• Be sure to visit our facebook page: FACEBOOK: Big Bass Rodeo. We will post interesting tidbits about the rodeo, fishing, etc. from March 1st until rodeo day!
Where can I fish?
All lagoons in the Park are open to fishing except the North Golf Course, future Golf Course
under construction and the Besthoff Sculpture Garden. Bayou St. John is considered part of
City Park and is open to fished.
This is a bank fishing event only!!! No boating vessels allowed in lagoons within the Park.
Click the link below to download a fishing map of City Park.